Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Renfrew Top....and the Jury is Still Out

This is my second Renfrew that I was going to add to my Renfrew Mini Capsule, but I don't think it made the cut.  There is something about the color that irritates me, I know its just a color, but it just does.  When I was cutting it out, I thought it was going to be the right fit...ie pattern and material, but it was not cohesive.  If that is clear as mud, but I'm sure you may understand.  Plus this top was cut out the exact same size as the others, and the material is the same as one of my other Renfrews, but its a little snug, so another strike.  Then strike three, I was going to pair it up with a black bottom, however it reminded me of Halloween or a Charlie Brown outfit. 

Not a total loss, I'll keep it for a shirt to wear around the house!  As a mock up for the skirt (Simplicity  1364) I matched with my first Renfrew, I made the shorts just to see how the fit was in the waist and hips.  For the shorts I choose a Navy Blue French Terry, and it kinda of goes with
the top as something just to wear around the house.   Who am I kidding I know I won't wear the top and it will sit in my drawer, so donation it will be.

I apologize in advance, for the pictures.  It was a cleaning day, and I didn't feel like having pictures taken, so this is as good as it gets. 

 Finally my remake of the Simplicity 1062, which I wrote a entry or two back.  I just did a self draft by folding the top in half, and cut along the sides, and decided to leave the high/low hem.  I trimmed the arm openings with the same red material.  I'm glad this was a save, because I adore this fabric.  Wish I would have bought more....so this was a good save. 
I know this isn't the most exciting to read about, and many don't even take time to write about flops, but they happens.  This is mainly for my tracking of my progress, and for me to look back and see my flops.  It gives me a new appreciation when I do have a successful make. 

So what is up next....I working on another top for Ms. Faye's top sewalong, and also to serve as my Make a Garment a Month hosted by Ms. Sarah Liz.  

Mc Calls 7356 view A

As always thank you for taking time to stop by!

8 comments:

  1. You are on a roll girl. I love your tops and thanks again for joining the sewalong #

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement Ms. Faye. Enjoying the sew along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little "kiss me" shirt is so adorable! Isn't it funny how we have issues with colors. I too have made things and the color is just yuk, at least to me. I say only wear what makes you smile 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda, I know when we think a color of fabric and a pattern will work, but then it turns out not the way you picture it. Won't be wearing it for sure.

      Delete
  4. Love the McCalls pattern your working on.. Beautiful fabric..
    I liked the yellow top [sorry it didn't fit/and you didn't like the color-- Doesn't it frustrate you when this happens.. ?} Happens to me all the time. eeech.

    Your getting a lot of sewing done.. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy. I know its frustrating to no end, but it happens like you said. I need to step back before I cut into the fabric, if I'm not feeling that it does not work with the pattern. Trying to get sewing in since I have the time.

      Delete
  5. The last picture first - what a pretty fabric and pattern. That should look lovely. And as for your flop, the colour may not be quite right for you - yellow has to be in the right shade for your colouring. But as you say, a house top for when all others are in the wash, or for dirty jobs, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz, I think the McCalls pattern is a good match for the material. Hope it comes close to my inspiration top. As for the top, its going to find its way to a new home. I know I won't wear it.

      Delete