My latest top is McCalls 7356. When I first say this pattern I knew exactly what material I'd use from my stash, a colorful Liverpool, that would match perfect for an inspiration top I wanted to make. Another plus for this pattern was that it was a fit & flair. I've always liked the peplum tops, however in my opinion added extra fullness to my waist and hips. Version A is what I made. Now for some reason McCalls patterns always run large for my suggested size. So I ended up making to mock ups, the first was huge, and the second had a lot of cuts, sitch, and restitch, but did not turn out to be wearable like I wanted. Needless to say the two mock ups ended in the trash, but after a good nights rest, it was back to the drawing board. I ended up measuring the pattern itself and added in seam allowance, and cut out 3 sizes lower than the recommended size, and the fit was perfect. I don't know what it is about McCalls patterns and me.......its like a love/hate relationship. I made it work, because I really liked this pattern.
The pattern is for a woven material, however I did use a knit. With this being said, I did not put in the zipper, since there was enough ease. The only other thing I did different was instead of using the neck binding, I just did a bias binding and it worked fine, plus it stabilized the neckline. Usually, I have to shorten the pattern for my height, however I did not shorten it, and am thrilled I didn't because it would have been way to short.
Another make for Ms. Fayes' top sew along, and back on track with Ms. Sarah Liz's Make a Garment a Month. So what's next I'm working on a coordinating piece for on of my Renfrew top mini collection.
As always thank you for stopping by!