Sunday, June 7, 2015

Polka Dot Saltspring

So this is my very first Saltspring sundress and was so excited to get started.  This year I decided to not  purchase anymore patterns or fabric and to shop my stashes both fabric and pattern.  For my fabric stash I decided to use up my fabric that I had the longest.  Quirkey I know, but I've got a system. 

With the hot humid Texas spring upon us, I decided to pull out Sewaholic Saltspring pattern and pair it up with a jersey knit black and white polka dot fabric. The Sewaholic Saltspring dress is a fully lined bodice, elastic waste dress with a flared skirt with spaghetti straps Before I cut the pattern out I decided to look at Pattern Review to if the pattern ran large, ect.  I did see that some had omitted the zipper to due the blouseness of the pattern.  I decided to cut out my normal size pattern, however had to down size as I was sewing the pattern.  Omitting the zipper was something I also did since this had plenty of ease in the patterni itself.  Something else I decided not to put in this dress was the pockets.  Since I'm only 5' tall and this pattern had a semi-full skirt, I did not want any bulk arount my waste/hips. 


 The dress can be made as a maxi too.
 The spaghetti straps measured 26 1/2 inches long.  For me that was a bit long so I cut off 9 inches and that was perfect.
 Over all I'm quite satisfied with how the dress turned out.  I think I'm going to take in the bodice about 1 inch on each side.  For me it just feels a little big under the arms and on the sides. 
 Fullness of the skirt, purfect.  I'm not a fan of full skirts, so this works for me.
Over all I'm pleased with this dress, and am sure I'll be wearing it alot.  With the classic black and white polka dots, I can see me wearing my pearls with this.

Thats all I have for now....let me know what you think. 

12 comments:

  1. It looks great. You got the proportions absolutely correct for your height and frame. I too am shopping my stash, I really can't justify buying more fabric when I have so much here already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. I compete agree on not justifying buying anymore. You know I'm finding a lot of pretty fabric I forgot about.

      Delete
  2. You've got yourself the cutest little sun dress there Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thank you Ms. Faye that means a lot.

      Delete
  3. Your dress looks comfy and cool to wear. Great job! Good idea to shorten the straps too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stars Threads. Shortening the straps made a huge difference, funny how something so small can make an impact.

      Delete
  4. So pretty!! I've heard that it's super hot, and probably quite humid with all the rain you've had. Hope you've stayed dry through the torrential rains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda. Yes, its very humid here, and there is still a lot of standing water. Hope the Texas mosquitos don't show up. How are you doing?

      Delete
  5. You are petite - but this dress is just right for you, cool and loose but doesn't widen and shorten you. I love your system of allocating stash - it gets you using it and sewing at the very least :). Your weather sounds quite awful - like here, hot, rainy and humid in summer. Very draining - you need lots more simple dresses like this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz. I have two more dresses cut out right now, of course different patterns. We had some pretty bad weather, but is just extremely hot which is the norm.

      Delete
  6. What an adorably cute dress for summer!! And out of knit.... perfect! Love everything. Looks nice and fresh. You look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice compliment. Thank you Lisa!

      Delete