Monday, November 3, 2014

Another Cardi and Reflection

Don't you just love when you complete a garment and you are so excited about it?  Well I completed another (yes another and there well be more) McCalls 6844 Cardi.  I love this pattern which is such a great staple piece, and the fabric I used a soft stretch spruce color knit that I purchased from JoAnne's.  This is the type of fabric that you purchase as certain yardage, and then if you are like me put it in your stash to use at a later date, but when you use it you wish you had purchased more of the fabric.  Well I knew when I purchased it I wanted to make a cardi and a pencil skirt as a set.  However, the next day I went back and purchased an additional 3 yards to make a dress.  Yes I love the fabric that much super soft, lovely color, and the texture!

The first time I made this cardi I cut a medium, and felt it was to big, so this time cut a small and it was perfect.

So comfy, and will be wearing alot this year

 Peplum back which adds to what I like about this pattern.
A match made in heaven soft, beautiful color, and texture.

Time for reflection since its been just little over a year that I started my blog to gauge my sewing.  I've not sewn as much as I would have wanted and most of it was due to discouragement due to the new sizing of today's patterns and my rustyness (is there such a word).  But I have a great support system out of you my sister fellow bloggers, and I wish could give you all a big hug.  After, I posted my "Throw Back Thus" picture, I realized the feeling that I missed about sewing...the feeling of pride of a job well done and would be happy wearing what I made.  Alot of people say you can't go by feeling, but for me it make sense.  How can I wear something that I made if I'm not thrilled with, so with this said I'm going to pick a pattern that I want to sew or fabric that speaks to me and will look through my pattern statsh until I have that exact feeling (hey it works for me).  This last year I felt like I have rushed myself by just picking a pattern and fabric and sewed away which left me feeling "so..so" and not wanting to wear the end product.  Yesterday, I read a blogger Sarah Liz that I truly admire talk about how she pitched alot of what I felt like was just so so projects for a fresh start.  So, after looking back this year, I have bagged up all of my SO SO projects and found them a new home.  I only kept 3 things that I'm please with and can proudly wear!  So here is to a new year for me and a new attitude adjustment! 

9 comments:

  1. I can't believe that a whole year has passed since you first started your blog. A big congrats to you! !! Love that spruce cardi. Enjoy every inch of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous cardi and the fabric is divine. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thrilled that you kept going with sewing - it is a quite a process, and one of self discovery too, as you are finding out. I love this cardigan on you - the colour is just right, the cut is just right for you, it's suits you as it is more age appropriate (yes, we all have to come to terms with the fact that what we need to sew now is so different from what we made as youngsters. Great idea to stash more of this knit, as it is just so perfect for you.

    Thank you for your nice thoughts about me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! She's back :)
    Congratulations on a lovely jacket and your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love your new cardi!!! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the style of that cardigan, looks fantastic on you as well!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally off topic here, but wanted to get back with you about a print you asked about that was hanging on the wall of my cousin's house in the background of a quilt I had photographed. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Still settling in after the Oklahoma trip, going straight into the holidays! Anyway, my cousin wrote this for you:
    "It is called "Grace". By Eric Enstrom, he was a Photographer and he set up the photo session of the man, Charles Wilden, who was a peddler selling foot-scrappers back in 1918. Eric liked the looks of this saintly old man and photographed him. From there the print became very well known. Eric Enstrom 's daughter later started doing oil paintings of the picture. I love this picture. I also have one that Cliff bought me of the old woman saying grace. Your friend can bring this up on line to be purchased. Tell her to bring up "The Old man saying Grace". And she should find the site."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this pattern too and loved it! I love this pretty color. It's very pretty on you! Glad to see you getting back your sewing mojo! It comes and goes, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and this is one of my favorite patterns. Yes, it certainly does, along with flops and ups!

      Delete