Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My Lovely Grandma....and My New Project New Look 6150

I want to introduce my wonderful Grandma Gladys, who is 98 years young.  Every chance I can get I always get back to Oklahoma to see this awsome lady who was one who taught me alot about sewing and a little bit of crochetting .  I want to soak up as much time as I can get to spend with her.  She is very hard of hearing, and her sight is going, but her Doctor tells her she has vital signs as a young teenager.  Some of my best years were growing up and spending the summers with her and Grandpa, and those memories you can't replace.  Time went by so fast...and it was time to get back home and work.  I just love this spunky little lady!  Do you have any special little ladies that helped shape your love of sewing? 

 Previously, I was trying to make a retro 1950's blouse and had a woven fabric.  I cut the pattern out, and started to sew it.  The pattern went together rather well, however the fabric (even though it had been washed several times) was stiff and scratchy.  After time went by, I started to get discouraged, and was ready to toss it aside.  Before, I decided to scrap the project together, I at least wanted to see what the fit would be like.  Since there was only one size as most older patters are, the fit was perfect....no guessing games here like I have had with several of the newer multi-sized patterns.  So I will definately revisit my retro pattern once I find a nice soft woven fabric.   This was the first project that I actually decided to scrap, and not waste anymore time on, decided to break my habbit of trying to complete a project that I didn't really want to finish or was not thrilled about once I got started on....AND let me tell you it feels good not to be bogged down by a chore to finish it. 

Moving forward for my March MAGAM project I am going to construct New Look pattern 6150 view B in this bright cheery knit fabric.  I have seen this pattern sewn up by so many others, and am looking forward to completing it.  I went shopping in my pattern and fabric stash.

Thank you for stopping by....would love to hear your thoughts.

18 comments:

  1. Your Grandmother is indeed lovely and you are very blessed to have her. Love your top fabric and pattern choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Faye....yes, I'm truly blessed to still have my grandma.

      Delete
  2. Your grandmother does look lovely - your are so lucky to have had a granny - I didn't have any, they died very young. She will get so much happiness from your visits, as you do from visiting her.

    Scrapping something is not always a bad thing as I have learnt too. The fabric for the top you have chosen is gorgeous :) Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure do enjoy each others company Sarah Liz, can't wait to see her again which will be in about one month.

      Delete
  3. Oh you are so fortunate to still have your grandmother. I'm sure you savor every moment you have with her.
    Beautiful choice of fabric for your top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda, I savor and soak up every second I have with her, and am counting the days I get to make the trek from Texas to Okla...worth every minute of it!

      Delete
  4. I remember my gran with great love. I didn't come from a sewing family. I envy your ability to decide to scrap the project - I have some that I should've scrapped. I like your semicolon of the sense of freedom you got. Maybe next time! Lovely fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Semicolon! Sorry - was supposed to be something like description. Note to self - check messages before posting!

      Delete
    2. Ms. Anne, Funny thing I understood what you meant, because it happens to me too often. It was very liberating to ditch that project since the fabric was not that much. I probably would have cried some if it was a piece of fabric I dearly loved...yes I do have some in my stash!

      Delete
  5. Love your fabric. Can't wait to see how your top comes out. Best of luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So proud you got to spend some time with your grandma.. 98 yrs young.. Fantastic
    My mother in law will turn 100 in July.. She sewed all the time, and really pricked my interest in sewing. My mom is 83, and she sewed some.. Aren't we blessed to have these ladies in our lives.
    Love the knit fabric you chose for your blouse.. Happy sewing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are truly blessed to have these great ladies in our lives. WOW 100 in July. What day in July? My grandma's birthday is July 1st.

      Delete
  7. How lovely to have your Gran with you! I miss my Gran a lot -- she was very special, the kindest woman I've ever known, and funny too -- she crocheted, cooked, gardened etc etc. and shared all of that. She lived to 96 so I guess we were blessed that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Gran sounds like a wonderful woman, and to share all of that with you!

      Delete
  8. Though I originally hail from Alabama, my mother's family lives(d) in Oklahoma and my Granny was such a good seamstress, she ran a business from her home to help supplement their income after my Grandpa was hurt in an oil rig accident. I spent many pleasant summers and holidays out there as a youngster. You are blessed to still have your grandmother! Love your knit fabric! Wish I could find such lovely colors and designs in knit as what you've got there. Look forward to seeing your new shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, Your grandma sounds like a special lady too, and a strong woman! What part of Okla does or your family live(d). My family is so spread out from south central to north central. I travel often from Texas to Okla to see them, I am the only tumbleweed!
      My fabric funny enough is from JoAnne's bargin bend, is was clearance plus I had a coupon for an additonal off. I love a good buy!

      Delete
    2. I too, have discovered the freedom of turfing a project partially done. Done can mean I learned something without wasting any more energy!

      Delete