Friday, February 28, 2014

On the fence about Simplicity 1943

Just completed Simplicity 1943....and I am still on the fence about this pattern.  Here is the finished product, and I am not to pleased.  It was one I was so excited about sewing but half way through I was so ready to wad it up and toss it in the trash.  But like the little engine that could...I had to finish it.  This was my Febuary Make a Garment a Month project.
 There were no attended alterations, as I cut my normal size, however there were unexpected alterations.  The collar was suppose to close directly in the the middle, however the bodice was about 11/2 inches long on each side so I had to cut of 1 1/2 inches off to make the collar to fit.  My other unexpected alteration was the lining which was longer than the actual jacket.  I believe part of this issue could be that I used a jersy knit with alot of stretch.  If I decide to make this again I will cut down one size for the lining.
 I am almost complete...the pattern called for two hooks and eyes for closures, however this was suppose to be a fun jacket and want something with alittle more pizzazz. 
 So for right now holding the jacket close is an antique pen from my grandma. 
An option I was thinking about was a little closure like this one, but in choclate brown (if I can
find one)

As stated I as still on the fence about this one.  For now I am just going to put it aside with the frustration and come back in a few days after I regroup.